Bakersfield Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
With over 800,000 registered motorcycles, California has the largest volume of registered motorcycles nationwide. Since motorcycles lack an outer protective structure, motorcyclists are at a much higher risk for suffering severe or fatal injuries when they are involved in an accident. In California, 80 percent of motorcycle accidents result in severe injuries or death, and motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to be killed in an accident than the motorists of other vehicles.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Bakersfield, it is important to consult with a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer to ensure you are properly compensated for your damages.
The Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Bakersfield
While motorcycle accidents can occur from a variety of factors, some of the most common causes of bike accidents in Bakersfield include:
- Driving under the influence. Sometimes, motorcycle accidents occur as a result of one driver being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Lane splitting. California is one of the only states that permits lane splitting, which allows motorcycle drivers to drive between two lanes—usually when cars are stopped or traffic is slow. However, this can be extremely dangerous and is a common culprit of motorcycle accidents.
- Improper lane changes. When drivers fail to check their blind spots before changing lanes or don’t follow proper right of way protocols, they can cause a motorcycle accident.
- Speeding causes of all kinds of vehicle accidents, and motorcycle accidents are no exception.
- Impaired driving. When drivers are impaired from texting, eating, or any other distraction, they can cause a motorcycle accident.
Essential Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
In the wake of a traumatic accident, the last thing you want to do is think about the legal process that will soon follow. However, it is essential to take certain actions to set yourself up for a successful legal process. Some essential steps to take include:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don’t have any obvious injuries, it is important to make an appointment with your doctor, as some conditions have a delayed onset.
- Call the police and get a copy of the police report. If you choose to file a personal injury claim, a police report will provide essential evidence, such as the date, location, and description of the accident.
- Save medical bills and other documentation. If you have expenses in the form of medical bills or motorcycle repairs from your accident, be sure to save the receipts.
- Collect evidence from your crash. If you can, use your phone to take pictures of the crash and any damages to your motorcycle.
Since navigating the aftermath of a crash can be overwhelming, it is always best to consult with a skilled personal injury lawyer to ensure you gather the proper evidence and documentation.
Proving Negligence in a Motorcycle Accident
Unfortunately, most insurance companies will attempt to pay the least amount possible to injured drivers. To receive the proper compensation from your insurance company, your lawyer will collect evidence to prove the other driver involved in the crash was negligent. Most personal injury lawyers will prove negligence by performing the following actions:
- Collecting essential evidence from the crash scene, including any video footage or images taken by any witnesses of the accident or from any street or business cameras
- Interviewing any medical professionals you met with to assess your medical needs and outline a comprehensive picture of the medical damages
- Consulting with accident recreation experts who can provide valuable insight into who was at fault in the crash
- Presenting the insurance company with any physical evidence from the crash, such as damages to vehicles, roadways, or guardrails
- Citing evidence from the police report, including the responding law enforcement official’s assessment of the accident scene
Motorcycle accidents can occur from a variety of factors, which makes each personal injury claim unique. When you consult with a skilled Bakersfield motorcycle accident lawyer, they will assess all the specific elements of your case and develop an individualized strategy for filing your personal injury claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Skilled Irvine Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
At Adamson Ahdoot, our skilled team of personal injury lawyers will help you navigate the specifics of your motorcycle accident. With more than 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases in Bakersfield, our boutique law firm provides unwavering support and high-quality legal counsel to our clients. Not only will we deal with your insurance company, but we will also help you find the best doctor for treating your injuries.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled lawyers in either English or Spanish, call today at (877) 871-3265 or fill out our online contact form.