Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
The sheer size and weight of commercial trucks intimidate even veteran drivers. An 18-wheeler can weigh several tons, especially when it carries a full load. Trucks cause catastrophic damage and even fatalities when they collide with other vehicles. At Adamson Ahdoot LLC (rights reserved), our law firm represents victims of truck accidents who need a robust legal defense.
The competitive nature of the trucking industry often leads to illegal or negligent activity and, subsequently, avoidable accidents. Whether the accident happens due to the trucker’s negligence or the trucking company is at fault, the result is the same for the victim.
Aside from the debilitating physical and psychological injuries they sustain, victims also experience a lowered quality of life. Some people develop a fear of driving and may suffer permanent injuries. Others may lose a family member or friend due to the negligence of a truck driver.
Our Los Angeles trucking accident lawyers gather evidence and assertively negotiate your case. We defend your rights, communicate with insurance companies, and take the legal burden off your shoulders. Our truck crash attorneys also protect you from predatory practices designed to make you admit guilt.
After your accident, you may feel vulnerable and angry. During this time, insurance companies will call you to take advantage of your situation. Some might even resort to harassment tactics to get a statement from you. Our lawyers do not let this happen, and we will negotiate on your behalf.
Our law firm specializes in helping victims fight for their rights after an accident. We stand by your side as you recover and build a strong legal strategy that increases your chances of success.
Common Causes Of Truck Accidents
Like any crash involving a motor vehicle, most truck accidents result from human error. Our firm has the experience to gather substantial evidence that supports your personal injury claim. We speak to witnesses and analyze the evidence to understand what happened in the moments leading up to the truck accident.
Truck accidents can happen for several reasons, and different factors come into play, such as:
- Inattentiveness: Lack of attention on the road and distractions while driving increase the likelihood of a truck accident. Truck drivers are more susceptible to accidents, as long hours on the road may cause them to lose focus. Distractions like talking on the phone, turning around, texting, and even eating can divert a driver’s attention from the road.
- Not following road rules: Road rules exist to keep drivers safe behind the wheel. When truckers don’t follow road rules such as staying at or below the speed limit, it increases their chances of a truck accident. Guidelines and specifications also dictate times when particular trucks can operate, as well as weight and height limitations.
- Intoxication: Trucking is a stressful job, with extended hours and tight deadlines. Some drivers resort to alcohol and drugs to cope. Driving while drunk or high is one of the leading causes of motor vehicle accidents and ruins the lives of innocent victims.
- Experience: Drivers must have the right expertise, licenses, and training to operate a truck in Los Angeles. Some people make the mistake of driving large vehicles when they have never done so previously. Others do have a valid license but did not receive sufficient training before they drive for a company.
- Sleep deprivation or fatigue: Although certain laws require truckers to rest after driving for a specific amount of time, some do not follow the rules due to tight deadlines. Fatigue increases the risk of a truck accident, since it increases the risk of truckers falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Lack of maintenance: Trucks must undergo regular maintenance to ensure they meet safety requirements on the road. Some trucking companies don’t maintain their vehicles regularly, which may cause issues while the driver is on duty. The truck might break down, or it might cause equipment to fall and damage other vehicles.
- Log forgery: The law requires that every trucker keep a log of their driving hours. Some truckers or the companies they work for forge their hours and falsify log information. A Los Angeles truck accident attorney makes sure that driver logs are accurate and thorough in a personal injury case.
- Unavoidable circumstances: Not all accidents happen due to driver negligence. Unavoidable circumstances may also cause a truck accident, like adverse weather conditions or lack of visibility.
During the initial few days after an accident, you may still be in shock. When you are most vulnerable, contact a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer to handle the legal process. Our legal experts at Adamson Ahdoot LLC get to the bottom of the claim and help determine who was at fault.
Who Is Responsible for a Truck Accident?
In Los Angeles, truck drivers adhere to strict standards and must follow the regulations set by the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LA DOT). California is not a no-fault state, and victims have the right to sue for damages beyond what insurance covers. Despite these regulations, some trucking companies prioritize deadlines and profit over their drivers’ safety or that of other motorists.
Trucking companies know the damage their fleet can cause for innocent passengers. However, they may choose to overwork their employees and risk driver safety. In other cases, another vehicle causes you and the truck to crash, even if that vehicle does not sustain damage in the accident.
After trucking accidents, lawyers get to work gathering evidence and determining whether a violation of the law occurred. The crash can be the fault of one or more parties, such as:
- The truck driver
- The loading company
- The trucking company or the driver’s employer
- Manufacturer of the truck
- Another driver or vehicle on the road
Although an investigation happens after the accident, a competent truck accident attorney investigates factors that lead to a more transparent case outcome. Since anyone can be at fault, every component of the accident can lead to a different settlement.
Our years of experience working with accident victims means that we have seen everything when it comes to truck accident cases. We make sure that no one tampers with evidence, and we investigate the matter to represent you favorably in court.
Receiving Compensation for Your Truck Accident Claim
A competent Los Angeles trucking accident lawyer works to build your claim after the crash. Some of the ways our law firm gathers information include investigating the scene of the accident and reviewing footage, if available. Your lawyer will also examine the police report and may collect other evidence when possible.
Your claim involves more than compensation for your medical expenses. You may receive financial compensation for other factors, such as any permanent change in your life that happens as the result of an accident. You might also have to deal with property damage, inability to work because of your injury, or lost time and wages from work.
In addition to compensation from the other party’s insurance company, lawyers for truck accidents know that your insurer may not give you all the benefits you deserve. Our lawyers file your case on time and work hard to ensure that you get the best possible outcome after the accident.
Why You Should Hire a Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
Hiring a Los Angeles truck accident attorney saves you time, money, and hassle. After an accident, you already have several issues to handle. Severe injuries, for example, could mean weeks or even months in a hospital, along with numerous physical therapy visits.
Even if you are in shock, you still need to file your claim and deal with aggressive insurance companies in the wake of the truck accident. The truck could have insurance from one company and their trailer from another, which further complicates the matter. Multiple vehicles may also be involved in the accident. The different scenarios and parties factor into your final compensation amount, which is why you need a legal expert who knows the law.
When dealing with truck accidents, lawyers know what to look for and how to work with insurance companies. A Los Angeles truck crash lawyer covers the processes of paperwork, negotiation, and gathering evidence for the case. If you receive an offer from the other party, your lawyer knows whether it’s a fair deal or if the court can do better.
Call us today for a free consultation and let us analyze your case. We will review your options and let you know what we can do to represent your case in court or in negotiations.
With over three decades of experience, our truck accident and personal injury lawyers at Adamson Ahdoot LLP will help you fight for fair compensation.